Friday, January 20, 2006

Whales in the Thames

I am not a cyclist. I ride a bicycle. I enjoy this, yet I don't consider myself a cyclist. perhaps it is a dearth of enthusisam. Not for the activity, no, for the culture and its trappings of identity. perhaps it is its athletic leanings. Perhaps I am distrustful of competition. Perhaps.

For likely the first time since my teens I went bicycle riding in January. I cannot tolerate riding when it is cold. As one sensed today: it wasn't cold. It was quite enjoyable, even if enormously taxing. I rode down to Loop island and down along waterfront park before heading back to Vincennes Street and the Barbarians at the gate.
IT wasn't bad and I'd like to go again tomorrow, weather permitting, with my wife. Perhaps.

2 comments:

The New Albanian said...

Today I suffered my first flat tire of the year. It went down after I arrived at work, and because I'd planned to bring the truck home anyway (after dark and all), the repair has been deferred until Saturday morning.

edward parish said...

Jon so glad you made it out on such a fine day. Perhaps tomorrow will have the same kind of rewards for you and your bride.

Had to pass riding today because of work, but hope to lengthen my ride time and miles this weekend.