Saturday, January 07, 2006

Roger's Saturday ride fine, but marred by equipment failure.

As with Ed’s ride today, I “did” my Louisville loop, but only half of it. We were running late, so I threw the bike on Diana’s car and we drove to Nancy’s Bagels on Frankfort Avenue for a refreshing breakfast, then I rode back to New Albany.

All was well, albeit windy, and the sun warmed the chill, but while crossing the old lumpy bridge over Silver Creek, my saddle gave way … sand crash, and I came to a stop and observed that near the top of the seatpost, just beneath where the saddle is attached, the ¾ inch steel rod had sheared in two as cleanly as if a surgeon were wielding a scalpel.

I made it down Spring Street and back home, half riding while standing, and half pushing when my wrists rebelled against the acrobatic stance. Because I was running out of time to get to work, I merely cannibalized Diana’s bike for her seatpost and saddle, and rode to work and back.

I’ll probably order new parts through Performance.

Altogether, a pleasant 30 km, and I’m very happy that the metal fatigue occurred here and not in the middle of a Czech agricultural district later this summer.

2 comments:

edward parish said...

That had to be a "real" surprise I'm sure.

Any thoughts or rumors of when the old bridge over Silver Creek is going to be closed? I had heard several dates at work, but all of those have passed.

The New Albanian said...

It was supposed to have started late in 2005. It will necessitate a detour when it happens, and I suppose the only real alternative will be to ride on the main road as far as S & S, then make the connection with Clarksville across the new bridge.