Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Very Windy Ride

It is a local saying that, if you don't like the weather just wait a little while and it will change. Well change it did around 4:00PM this afternoon. After spending most of this sun filled and warm day at CINergy saying to myself, I should be home riding my bike, I decided that maybe I would squeeze out a little early and try and get a ride in before daylight moved on for another day. At 3:30 the sun was still in its glory and it felt real nice near 60 degrees. But by the time I got home it had changed, the cloud cover had moved in and a wind had started blowing in the cold front that was approaching. Hell with it, I'm riding anyway.

Sporting tights and three light layers plus my trusty North Face cap and gloves I left our Silver Hills home and headed up Old Vincennes Road towards Quarry Road. That is when the front started pushing through. Most riders will tell you that the one thing that they hate to ride in is wind and I am no exception. The wind was blowing according to weatherchannel.com at near 15 mph with wind gust up to 20 mph, making the temperature feel like 33 degrees.

Making the loop around Old Vincennes Road, Quarry Road, Corydon Pike and Main Street and then back up Old Vincennes to home was all I could stand for the day. That is 18k and I was real glad to get home and hit the warm shower, but still glad just the same that I got in one of my favorite short rides.

4 comments:

The New Albanian said...

Ed, the wind was a killer even before it got colder later in the afternoon.

I got in about 15 km, but it was a workout westbound along the river!

edward parish said...

It was a real chore wasn't it?Trying to adjust gearing with the wind was a constant fight.

edward parish said...

Brandon until I can figure out what is wrong,here is the link-

http://www.bicyclinginfo.org/

edward parish said...

Brandon the link should repaired.

I am not much help as far as a book or other such things, my cycling has just morphed over the years and learning from others.
Riding the exercise bike is nothing like hitting the road.

My suggestion is buy a good bike and equipment. Go talk to Bob Peters at Clarksville Schwinn and he can give you very good information and answer oddles of questions.