Sunday, July 23, 2006

Hey, that wasn't so bad!

Guess what I did this morning? I rode up Corydon Pike. And it was easy, I tell you, easy! Sure I was in my granny gear and went 5 mph, but this road is set at such a slight grade that I just got into my zone and just pedaled away up the hill. What a great day to do so too. So for the first time we were able to start at our home and also ride out in the Knobs. No burning of fossil fuels at all.

Started at our home off County Line road, down to Chapel Creek subdivision where we cut through to take a left on Chapel Lane, then a right on Kamer-Miller, and another right onto Carver Street (right across from Graceland), left onto St. Joseph for a second and then a right onto Greenfield Drive to cut through another subdivision to get to Klerner Lane, right on Klerner to IUS, through IUS to Hausfeldt. Hausfeldt to Green Valley.

Then took Green Valley into New Albany, crossed State street and went on to Cherry, then took West 7th up to Main, and on to Corydon Pike.

After we climbed Corydon Pike, we turned at the Korner Kitchen and went up North Luther road and stayed on Luther road until we turned at HWY 150, then down the little hill to stop for coffee at the Hob Knob. We did a ride last sunday and stopped there too, now my husband always wants to end up at a coffee place somewherre in our rides. I'm not much of a coffee drinker but I get the smoothies.

So after a rest, our group of three went down Scottsville road, turned at St. Mary's road, right onto Campion, right again onto Mosier Knob road (a short but steep hill here, much worse for me than Corydon Pike, though it's much shorter, but I have to really fill up my lungs for that hill).

Then we turned onto North Skyline Drive and enjoyed the view. GREAT view today, not only could you see downtown Louisville, but you could see the hills behind it, as you go into Bullitt County. It's rare to see the hills past downtown, today was a real treat up there.

Dropped our friend off at the top of Fairview Knob and then John and I headed down Fairview knob (Barrel Shoot). Wowsers! I wore out my brake going down that sucker. It's so steep I felt like I was going to fall off the front of my bike! I will bow at the feet of anyone who actually climbs that cliff (and then I'll call you crazy).

Then right on 111, left on Chapel, to Bugaboo, to county line and back home again. Total ride 34.12 miles. I feel good about this ride.

I am woman, hear me roar!

No comments: