Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Brief note: No rooms available at Spezial in late August.

For those on the biking trip to Europa, I've learned that there are no rooms during the period we'll be in Bamberg. I'm checking, but it's possible that the whole establishment is shut down for vacation during this period.

Which means we'd have to drink Spezial up at the beer garden overlooking the city. Rotten luck.

I'll now be investigating alternatives. Because the group continues to grow in size, it might be a good idea to find a pension arrangement rather than a hotel, perhaps a bit out of center to better accommodate a group with bikes. I'm hoping to enlist the assistance of Matthias Trum, owner of Schlenkerla, who has told me that Monday the 28th is the last day of the annual street festival in the old town, where the breweries dispense beer and much revelry occurs.

Out to ride now, and then to work for a few chores.

3 comments:

Jeff Gillenwater said...

I know neither how many people you're dealing with nor how you personally define pension but, if you haven't already thought of it, you may want to consider exploring apartment and house rental.

I had good luck with it on our last trip, getting a palatial two bedroom flat in Edinburgh for a lot less than we would've paid for two hotel rooms. The easy indoor bike storage could be cool for you guys, too.

Between your writing and Ed's photos, my vicarious living is starting to turn into planning.

The New Albanian said...

An excellent point, although sometimes the minimum stay exceeds what we were planning.

I'll be pushing hard to have Matthias help as soon as he returns from his vacation.

edward parish said...

Thackeray knows of a place in Bamberg where he and Kathy stayed a couple of years ago, if that will help.