Saturday, September 09, 2006

Finals standings


Here we are one week later and I finally found out what my national ranking is, #8. I'm happy with it, but next year it will be #1! With my national ranking, I am now on the U.S. Cycling Team that will compete next year at the 2007 World Championships that will be in Canada.

On another note, I'm pretty bummed out that there was so little coverage of the race, especially since New Albany had two riders representing the city in the main events. The Tribune, nor the other news media I contacted prior, during and after the races have responded. The CJ just ran a press release and I saw WAVE3 out there, but nothing was on the program.

What I'm trying to get at is that New Albany is home to two national champion cyclist! We've worked really hard to earn that, but unless it involves a ball and two goals, news deems it unworthy and that BMX is some underground kid sport. Did you know that the Grand National brings in about 20 thousand people to our local area? Maybe next year we might get a nod...lol..

4 comments:

Debbie H. said...

Wow, that's cool Tommy. I certainly didn't know that New Albany had such championship connections in the sport. Who did you contact at the Tribune? I might be able to get a little nudge in to the Executive Editor who is my editor for my weekly columns. If it's all over for this year, too bad, but wouldn't it still be an idea to do some sort of profile on you and whoever the other person is? Let me know if you want me to put a but in his ear about it.

Tommy2x4 said...

Debbie,

I'm all for doing a profile type of story. I really want to promote the sport, in hopes of getting ridership up for next year. Thank you for helping out!

Tommy

Debbie H. said...

Okay Tommy, I wrote to Steve. Here's what he said in response:

"I am definitely interested! We (with my pushing) are trying to diversify our sports coverage.; Sometimes it's hard with only three people to cover such a
big area and the multitude of sports. We've recently added a soccer writer, which we never used to cover. And we will be adding a mega-sports calendar with events and groups that all athletes can utilize.

Please pass on my info to him and mention that he should contact me
directly.

FYI, our phone numbers are changing this week so communications will be a
little iffy. But you know I'm an e-mail fiend and that almost always works the
best.

Executive Editor, Steve Kozarovich
steve.kozarovich@newsandtribune.com
****

Hope this helps!

The New Albanian said...

Congrats to you, and I know Steve's been cool about wanting to expand the newspaper's coverage.

Tommy, if you read this remember to send me items of interest and I'll try to get them up on NAC for the widest readership.