Saturday, July 07, 2007

Wellsprung

It should be noted that I greeted the prospect of riding to Louisville with Ed and Terry with apprehension. I have confessed myriad times that I enjoy riding with my wife or alone, the whispers of alpha-competition do little but piss me off. That said we rode 28 miles (Ed and Terry, no doubt, more) and enjoyed lunch and rehydration at Cumberland. The highlight had to be encountering Mayor Jerry cycling himself in Butchertown and his admonition that we should all wear helmats. It would take Condi on rollerblades to trump that episode of hilarity. As I conifed to the guys, N and I usually cruise at 10-11 mph whereas these lads aim for 15 which left me pleasingly winded.

Mr G -- thanbks for the comment and, no, I hadn't checked the site recently and I have ammended my profile to include email. Cheers.

5 comments:

edward parish said...

Good trip on a hot and lazy saturday.

edward parish said...

My legs went for just twelve this afternoon at 17:00 in ninety degree heat. J,T and R went for cafe early. Be careful with the heat...

MrG said...

Jon:

Averse to both alpha cyclist and spandex lycra snobbery, I have spent a year pretty much cruising around by myself.

But now finding myself enjoying longer, 20-30 mile, rides, I'm looking for occasional company.

Fortunately, my schedule allows me to get out early in the morning and, often, later in the evening to avoid extremes of summer heat.

I'm 2 miles west of Floyd Central H.S., but can come to town. Give me a heads up if you, or any of the buds are looking to go for a cruise. I do believe in the "Brother/Sisterhood of the Wheel".

edward parish said...

http://www.wlky.com/video/13616537/index.html

MrG said...

"Chips" Cronin was a well-known guy at Clark County Memorial Hospital, where he frequently brought the eucharist to patients from his parish.

I talked with Jackie Greene at SafeStreetsLouisville.org tonight about how shocking this latest death is to people on both sides of the river and how incredible it is that no driver involved in a pedestrian or cyclist death going back to at least Heather French Henry has ever been charged.

That organization is exploring the facts and evaluating whether a policy change is possible at Louisville Metro Police or county prosecutor's office or a change in city ordinances or state criminal code is necessary.

Greene said developments on the issue would be posted at the website.