Friday, August 14, 2009

Time for an update: Mileage up, pounds down.

My average mileage for June and July was around 530 km, and I'm on track to beat that in August. My approach hasn't changed. I try to ride every day, and ride more when time allows. I'm down almost 30 lbs since June 1, and whereas I gained it back the last time (2007), this time I'm feeling better about my chances to keep it off. Don't worry: I'm still enjoying my beer and the food I like, the latter in smaller doses, and the former with a better view of what choices cost. I'm not unhappy at all about making a few minor sacrifices along the way.

Having the YMCA open for cooler, rainier weather will help. Last evening we both went and were schooled by the trainer as to using the weights. I'll slowly transition toward toning as we draw closer to winter, but I plan to return to the year-round outdoor bicycling even if it's just short distances. My butt's coming back, and I don't want to lose it by giving up saddle time.

The real joy for me was a day like yesterday, because the variable that has changed in the fitness program is the biking itself. In 2007, I shed the weight by dieting and walking, because I couldn't ride owing to my rotator cuff problem and the surgery to repair it. By the time I got back on the bike, I was lighter but regaining the weight.

This time, I'm shedding the weight as I ride, and being 30 lbs lighter is making it demonstrably easier to climb Corydon Pike once a week. Yesterday I didn't do the hill profile, but I felt strong doing a series of urban loops totaling 35 km.

For me, there's nothing like that bike to induce exhilaration. The weight loss dynamic this time around is equally pleasing. By next June, I should be in top shape for Danish beercycling.

1 comment:

Debbie H. said...

I just can't seem to get into bicycling year round. The cold air in my face just makes me feel crappy rather than refreshed.