Saturday, August 22, 2009

Drafting

Way, way back, before we were even married, my hubby and I used to jog together. This is really hilarious if you could see us. He's a 6 ft 1 ex football player and I'm 5ft 5 with much shorter leg span of course. It had to be soooo hard for him to just slog along next to me, but I guess that's what he had to do for 'courtin' purposes. :)

Anyway, this is one reason I love biking, it's much easier for people of different sizes and fitness levels to just ride along together and have fun. And the distance we can cover sort of makes up for him having to go at a speed less than he is able.

However, lately, we've been experimenting with drafting, where I get behind him and follow closely while he provides a barrier to the wind. Supposedly this save 30% of the energy for the person in the back. It's working quite well and so far we've found we can increase our average speed by 2mph and I think I can get even better with more practice. So now he can get a better fitness workout this way rather than only going the speed I can handle.

Plus, it makes me feel like a professional tour de france biker. :)

UPDATE ON MY SURVEY:

The score before our ride today was 14 to 6 but now I have a dilemma. I did a stupid move at the top of a hill today and caused minor trouble for a car so what should I do? I thought maybe I should subtract one from each side so that the number of car idiots goes down since today I was the idiot. What do you think?

2 comments:

Tommy2x4 said...

let me ask you this. what happens when a guy with a New Albanian sticker tailgates you all the way down I-71???

3 weeks ago, i was driving 65 south onto the 71-64 interstate when a guy in a blueish ford suv type of car comes blazing up on my butt. i mean, i could have counted the hair in his nostrils, he was so close.

since he sports the New Albanian sticker, does he get a pass in your survey?

it's not just people with "God" plates that do stupid things, it's a collective of most knuckleheads on the road in this area...just saying you can't generalize people into categories...

Debbie H. said...

I don't understand.

No one is getting a pass with this survey. Everyone is being counted, no one gets a pass. I just happen to be categorizing them according to license plates.

And I think is perfectly legitimate to do so because there's an inherent implication that if someone puts in god we trust on their plate, then I would certainly expect them to behave according to the beliefs they are putting out there for all to see. Don't you?